Psychoanalytic Training of International Scope
International Institute Psychoanalytic Training (IIPT) at the International Psychotherapy Institute (IPI) offers a four-year psychoanalytic training program designed especially for those clinicians who don’t have access to local analytic training. The analytic training operates within and augments the existing learning matrix of IPI. Current annual tuition $4,390
For a sample of the IIPT program, try our Introduction to Psychoanalysis & the Psychoanalytic Process telephone seminar.
IIPT Chair: Caroline Sehon, MD
Candidate Progression Committee Chair: Karen Mohatt, Psy. D.
Faculty Progression Committee Chair: Pat Hedegard, LMHC
Curriculum Committee Chair: Sue Cebulko, PhD
Supervising Analysts Committee Chair: Lea Setton, PhD
Click here for IIPT program prerequisites
We have a “rolling” application period and are accepting applications and letters of recommendation for the class starting Summer.
Interviews with an admissions committee member and a supervising analyst will be conducted for early applicants in February.
Application for the program and supporting documents may be submitted to Colleen Sandor, Ph.D., Chair of the Admissions Committee, through the IPI office, c/o Anna Innes by email, facsimile, or hardcopy.
These documents include:
- Completed application form (fillable PDF form)
- Signed Permissions and Guarantee form
- 2 letters of recommendation from supervisors or other senior colleagues familiar with your clinical work (one must be from an IPI faculty member)
- copy of your resume or curriculum vitae
- copy of your diploma in your clinical field
- copy of your state license to practice
- copy of your malpractice insurance coverage (if applicable)
- $50 application fee (can be paid online by clicking here)
- 16 in-person weekends (4 per year over 4 years)
- 4 in-person week-long summer conferences (1 per year over 4 years)
- A weekly phone seminar in analytic theory and technique on Tuesdays from 2-3:30 pm, September-June during each of the four years
- 1 year of an infant observation seminar**
- 30 hours of training in couple, child and family therapy at IPI****
The infant seminar and family component are required and may be taken as prerequisites before acceptance to the training.
Psychoanalytic Training Program Faculty
Nancy Bakalar MD, Douglas Dennett MD, Sharon Dennett MSW, Judy Rovner MSW, Robert Rovner PhD, Jill Scharff MD, David Scharff MD, Stanley Tsigounis PhD
Becky Bailey PhD, Nancy Bakalar MD, Betty Benaim MA, Sue Cebulko PhD, Douglas Dennett MD, Sharon Dennett MSW, Pat Hedegard PhD, Robert Rovner PhD, Judy Rovner MSW, Colleen Sandor PhD, Lynda Scalf-McIver PhD, Jill Scharff MD, David Scharff MD, Caroline Sehon MD, Lea Setton PhD, Anne Taylor MSW, Stanley Tsigounis PhD, Yolanda Varela PhD, Janine Wanlass PhD
Alice Brand Bartlett, Betty de Benaim, Elise Blair (emeritus), Christopher Bollas, Sharon Blum, Ira Brenner, Ron Brown, Max Hernandez, Earl Hopper, Nasir Ilahi, Otto Kernberg, Ted Jacobs, Roberto Losso, Anton Obholzer, Mary Kay O’Neil, Randi Paulsen, Lea Setton, Imre Szecsödy, Virginia Ungar, Yolanda Varela, Felix Velasco, Vamik Volkan, Paul Williams.
Past Candidate Endorsements
“It saturated my mind and experience—it really took over my life and thinking for three years—and from that place, I felt a depth and breadth of learning from experience that I had not had before.”
“It has changed my life, and it has changed my patients’ lives. Other people knew it before me.”
“I waited ten years for this institute to form because I wanted analytic training to be the kind of challenge that it turned out to be–not just a cookie cutter academic formula, but the chance to truly stretch and grow as a professional and a person.”
- The right to choose one’s own analyst, if eligible, in any state or country. Analysts must meet IIPT standards for approval to analyze candidates. (5 years post graduate from an IPA, ACPE or IIPT accredited institute-approval review by IIPT SA’s)
- A program for students in remote locations
- The Group Affective Model of training
- Faculty who study the process of teaching and learning
Wondering if the IIPT Program is right for you?
IIPT does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, gender, sexual orientation, or age.